Dazzle


Season 1


Season 1 of "Dazzle" takes place during Season 8 of "Captain N: The Game Master" (1996-1997).


Season 1 Sign-Up


If you wanna write an episode, you have to do these things:

1) Choose a topic or an issue for your episode to deal with.

2) Choose an episode title.

3) Read the Dazzle Character Profiles section.

4) Read the How to Write an Episode section.

5) E-mail me the ZIP file and a summary of the story. Give a different summary for each part.


The Episodes



The songs performed by Dazzle in these episodes were originally performed by Jem and the Holograms. The songs are copyrighted © by Sunbow Entertainment (formerly Sunbow Productions, Inc.); Hasbro Industries, Inc.; Star Wild Music, Inc; and Wild Star Music, Inc.
1) THE BAND BREAKS UP
Written by: Mark Moore
Original Date Posted: 02/15/00
Latest Update: none
When VGM splits, the guys form a new band called Steve!, and the girls form a new band called Dazzle.
2) OUR FIRST ALBUM
Written by: Mark Moore
Original Date Posted: 02/29/00
Latest Update: 03/08/00
Dazzle and Steve! both release their first albums.
THE VIDEO SHOOT
Writer: Mark Moore
Dazzle makes its first music video.

DAZZLE GIRLS
Writer: Mark Moore
The bands get their own television series. Dazzle begins a major promotional campaign.

THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS
Writer: Mark Moore
Dazzle and Steve! compete in a Battle of the Bands contest.

BREAKING UP IS HARD TO WATCH
Writer: Mark Moore
When her parents get divorced, Stacey copes with it the wrong way.

A STARRY NIGHT IN THE DOWNTOWN LIGHT
Writer: Cynthia Chan
Dazzle spends a week in downtown Toronto and Niagara Falls, visiting the CN Tower, the Eaton Centre, Yonge Street, and Casino Niagara.

MAKIN' MAGIC
Writer: Mark Moore
Heather decides to become a magician.

JUST A DITZ
Writer: Mark Moore
A day in the life of our favorite valley girl.


Trivia


The background when I put this section up on Wednesday, February 2, 2000, was this color, which is the color used for the text used at Mooncat's Jem Fan Fiction Archive. I changed the background to pink on Tuesday, February 8, 2000.


THE BAND BREAKS UP

The title was inspired by the title of the "Jem" episode "THE BANDS BREAK UP".

"Dazzle" started out as a two-part episode called "BATTLE OF THE BANDS" that I had written for Season 8 in mid-1999. Then my hard drive crashed, and I lost both parts. I started rewriting Part 1 on Thursday, December 23, 1999, at 11:00 AM. During this time, I was still trying to decide whether or not to launch "Dazzle" as a separate series. On Tuesday, February 8, 2000, I took what I had of the rewrite and converted it to the "Dazzle" series premiere. I finished the first draft on Tuesday, February 15, 2000, at 1:19 PM. I finished the final draft at 1:48 PM.

Some differences between the original story and this story: the original dealt with a lot more stuff; Samus wasn't in the original, since I hadn't yet decided to have her remain; Steve! performed 'Super Freak' by Rick James in the original, rather than 'Turning Japanese'; Dazzle performed 'Truly Outrageous' during their first concert, rather than 'We Can Change It'; there were no repeat performances (which I added as filler) in the original.

The way the band breaks up is similar to the way The Archies break up in my fanfic "BETTY COOPER: THIS IS WHO I AM". I believe I wrote VGM's break-up first, though.

Stacey's line, "You can find some other flunky to pluck keys for you!", was inspired by Kimber's line in the "Jem" episode "THE BANDS BREAK UP".

Kevin's line, "Fine, pluck you!", was inspired by Buffy's line in an issue of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" comic book.

Kelly Harris suggested a saxophonist, so I added Samus to the band.

I added in the recipe for tartar partly as filler and partly cuz it tastes good, and I wanted to share it with others.

Linda Carlisle is an homage to '80s rock diva Belinda Carlisle. She's similar to Lindsey Pierce on "Jem".

"Turning Japanese" is British slang for "masturbating".

Christy Phillips is an homage to "Jem" series creator Christy Marx and to Mary Phillips (Stormer's real name). She was inspired by the owner of The Scene in "THE BANDS BREAK UP".


OUR FIRST ALBUM

The title comes from a line in "CHANGES" PART 5: "NEW BEGINNINGS".

This episode was part of the plot of "BATTLE OF THE BANDS" PART 1.

I started writing the episode on Monday, February 21, 2000, at 8:30 AM. I finished it on Tuesday, February 29, 2000, at 12:18 PM.

I was originally going to call Dazzle Music "Star Bright Music".

The outside elevator comes from the "Jem" episode "THE BEGINNING".

Dazzle's appearance on 'The Linda Show' was based on Jem and the Holograms' appearance on 'The Lindsey Show' in "KIMBER'S REBELLION".

Lana's "the peaceful transition of power" bit is something I read concerning the 1996 presidential election in the textbook for my American National Government class a few semesters before.

I picked whoever had the coolest name, just like Lana does.

Stacey's line, "I like the name", is something Victor Athey told me he heard someone say on TV about Bob Dole.

Mike's car stalling as it crosses the street is what happened to my dad's car when we left the polling location.

"Doled" and "doling" are terms that Victor Athey invented.

Heather's line about Dole resigning was something Victor told me.

Kevin's reaction to "Home Improvement" not being on was my reaction as well.

Kristen's line about Perot taking away votes from Dole and Clinton was something I actually heard on ABC News' live coverage of the election returns.

Lana's line, "Dole did not dole tonight.", was my thought the day after the election.

Steve! Sound was named after Stingers Sound.

Lana's reaction to Steve! Sound being across the street was Jem's reaction to Misfits Music.

Stacey and Lana dancing was inspired by Jem and Rio dancing at the end of "GLITTER AND GOLD".

When I first put the episode up the text was gold because I thought it would look cool (plus 'Glitter and Gold' was played, so it seemed appropriate). When I put up the episode and checked it, I couldn't read it. So, I changed the text to black.


EPISODES THAT DIDN'T MAKE IT IN

"THE FIRST DATE" by Mark Moore. This was originally going to be a Season 8 episode. Then I considered putting it in "Dazzle". When I made the definite decision to start "Dazzle", I had already put this episode in Season 8.